Planning a Summer Vacation? Use These Tips to Keep Your Home Safe!
The school year is winding down and families are looking forward to summer vacation. Before you load up the snacks and hit the road, make sure your home is in order.. We have some tips to keep your home safe so you can enjoy a worry free vacation! 🚙
Prep your home with this checklist:
- Contact your insurance broker to let them know your house will be vacant. Your broker can help to make sure you are covered in case of an emergency while you are away.
- Have someone check your home inside and out. Watching for any water leaks or other emergencies can save a lot of time and money if caught early!
- Give your house a lived-in look. This can include setting lights on timers, installing motion detectors, having someone pick up the mail, and leaving your blinds or drapes like they always look. If there is usually a car in the driveway, make sure there is one parked there while you are away. Have someone water the plants and mow the lawn. Try to keep it looking the same as when you are home.
- Do some cleaning – you’ll appreciate it when you come home! Take out the trash, empty the dishwasher (and leave the door open to keep it aired out), clean out the refrigerator, wipe the kitchen counter and vacuum the floors. Not only will it look nice when you come home, but food waste or crumbs can attract unwanted pests.
- Save on utility bills by unplugging appliances and electronics and setting your thermostat so you’re not heating or cooling your home while you are away.
If you’re planning a family vacation this summer, refer to these tips and then enjoy your time away! 😎